Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Do You Seek and Accept Help When You Need It?


Help is something we all need whether we admit it or not. Women are very accustomed to giving help, but some are not at all are used to seeking help. Many of us feel like we don’t need help, we think we can do it all, and we try to. We try to do it all until we have nothing left. As a result, our mental, emotional, and physical health is jeopardized, and we are forced to accept the help we could have simply requested.
When you go too long without asking for help it usually shows up in your life as a severe imbalance. You may say things to your children or husband that you do not mean. You may become overly focused on the lives of others because focusing on your life seems too overwhelming. You may get your utilities disconnected because you've forgotten to pay a bill. You may gain ten pounds because you're too stressed to workout and add to that eating badly. I am sad to say it, but some of you have had to get to some very low points in your life before you realized you needed to let someone else help you.
I myself am learning to lean on those close to me, but it is still hard for me to take the first step. Once I do, I always realize how it easy it was from the beginning. I am always willing to help anyone who needs help, but for some reason I feel people will cast judgment on me for needing help. I am learning everyday that I have people who love me, and they are more than willing to help me in anyway I need. I have to remember to humble myself and ask. I know this is not a problem that is unique to just me, this is why I am writing about it even as I am learning it.
Just when we begin to feel overwhelmed, but well before we feel at a breaking point, we need to find support. Whether it is a friend, a family member, a mental health professional, a life coach, a doctor, a babysitter or a spiritual leader. Make and keep a list of those you can call on in a hurry for specific needs. When making your list, carefully consider who will be best suited to address each need. You probably wouldn’t want your babysitter treating your fibroid tumors, nor would you want to call on your Aunt who has been married five times to give you advice about your love life. Once you develop your list, rely on your support system to lighten your load. It may be difficult at first to ask for help, but you will grow from humbling yourself before others. I am growing from asking for help everyday.
If you would like to make progress towards overcoming the fear of asking for the help you need call or write me today for your introductory consultation!
With over 20 successful years in corporate America, Roland Gilbert is now living his passion through helping others find and live theirs! Roland is a personal coach working with a wide range of clients’ issues through helping them change their thoughts and actions about their worlds – both personally and professionally.
Roland works one-on-one – via phone and face-to-face – and with MasterMind Groups. Through Couples Coaching Roland helps clients communicate better, find the love they want, and create relationships of significance.
Contact Roland at 800-974-3692 or rgilbert@perennialgrowth.com  to determine if coaching is right for you. www.perennialgrowth.com

No comments:

Post a Comment